March 29, 2012

The Conservative Challenge



I want to debate a conservative blogger on sociopolitical topics.

"Debate," to me, means to discuss in a calm and rational manner. Frankly our current political climate frightens me. We've fallen into the habit of shouting our opinions into the wind, metaphorically, through social media outlets. Politicians and pundits can't seem to refrain from name-calling, exaggeration, and fear-mongering.

My opponent must enjoy this sort of thing. If you feel stressed out just thinking about discussing politics then this challenge probably isn't for you. If we can develop an amicable relationship the conversation may go on indefinitely.

My positions:

  1. Abortion. I've posted on this already, I probably agree with you for the most part.
  2. Gay marriage / adoption. I'm bisexual. Bring it on.
  3. Gun control. This would be fun. I'm liberal but married to an outdoorsman / hunter / fisherman. I'd love to debate this.
  4. "Obamacare." Very much pro-Obamacare.
  5. Separation of church and state. I think some of the statements being made by the right, such as Bryan Fischer's assertion that Islam should not be granted First Amendment rights, have no basis in fact.
These are just a few, I'm open to ideas!

Here are my rules for debate:

  1. Respect the humanity of the person you are debating. Neither side is inherently evil or out to destroy the fabric of society.
  2. No name-calling. Be nice.
  3. Avoid inflammatory verbiage. Example: "Conservatives will never be willing to protect women's rights." The words Never and Always are especially inflammatory.
  4. Be willing to concede points. Nobody is right about everything.
  5. Smile. It's just a conversation.
If you know a conservative blogger please send them this link. If you are a conservative blogger just dive right in! Post something then comment below with a link to it. I wouldn't mind debating several people, so don't be bashful.

You could also respond to one of my controversial posts:

The Homosexual Agenda

Abortion, Part II

The Trouble With Gender

Sarah Palin: Betrayal of Nowhere

Let's show the world that even hot-button topics can be discussed calmly and productively.    -Kim


1 comment:

All opinions welcome, but play nice or be deleted.