Noun: Christian Love
On Sundays I try to bridge the gap between the left and the religious right.
We cannot ask our opponents to listen to our point of view if we are unwilling to listen to theirs. Our nation will never find peace if we don't learn to communicate.
The media darling for the religious right is American Family Association, parent group of One Million Moms.
We've all heard the phrase "homosexual agenda." Many Christian conservatives use this to describe what they believe LGBT people wish to achieve. Most liberals aren't entirely certain what it means, but it sends our hackles up nonetheless.
AFA spelled out exactly what they fear will happen if homosexuals accomplish their agenda in this article: Click Here.
Liberals: set your indignation aside and read it.
- If you believe they are wrong, why are they wrong?
- Could you rewrite this article and make the same points without using inflammatory verbiage?
- Do they have any valid points from which you could launch a productive discussion?
True statement. Maybe we should stop getting angry at the term itself. LGBT persons DO have an agenda.
Conservative Christians: set your own beliefs aside and read it.
- Do agree with the article 100%? Why or why not?
- Are you comfortable with AFA essentially representing you in the media?
- Can you find any concession points from which you could launch a productive discussion with a homosexual person?
This quote cites no reference and is written in an inflammatory manner. Would it be fair to rewrite the segment about the APA as follows:
"The critical first step towards this end occurred in 1973 with a controversial decision by the American Psychiatric Association (APA) to remove homosexuality from its list of mental disorders."
(Extra credit for both sides: What goals do you believe are on the homosexual agenda? Why?)
If this post made you think, please take a moment to post to Facebook or email to a friend. I look forward to reading your comments below. -Kim